Holden Arboretum, Posted June 10th 2022
Spend your best summer yet at the Holden Arboretum starting with the Mission Botanica interactive maze opening Saturday, June 11, 2022, at 9 a.m. All summer long, enjoy concerts in the forest, wine tastings, art exhibits, hike in the forest with fireflies, and much more. Make it a summer to remember! Purchase tickets at holdenfg.org.
Mission Botanica will be featured at the Holden Arboretum from Saturday, June 11 to Sunday, September 5, 2022. Climb, leap, hang, and fly through the green and mysterious world of a unique maze with Mission Botanica. This June, you’re invited to explore the vast biodiversity in a bilingual, family-friendly adventure maze, that will feature highlighted plants and trees from the Arboretum’s collection.
Discover how the plants and trees play a critical role in the survival of all life on the plant with Mission Botanica. Embark on your journey by completing question-and-answer challenges that let you choose your own path through the winding maze. Along the way, explore the unbelievable traits of plants and the animal friends that support them. Interwoven in the stories shared within the maze is the urgent message that biodiversity is shrinking, and many plant species are disappearing before we’ve had a chance to find and learn about their unique roles in their ecosystems. Before ending your adventure, make a pledge to support the amazing flora you’ve just met by promoting biodiversity with your everyday actions.
What’s in Bloom?
Gorgeous rhododendrons, peonies, wood poppy, lilacs, and so much more! Visit holdenfg.org to see what’s blooming each month.
Summer Evenings at the Holden Arboretum
Each Wednesday from June 1st to August 31st, the Arboretum will be open until 8 p.m. Enjoy the Murch Canopy Walk and Kalberer Emergent Tower, late tram tours, your favorite Arboretum gardens and trails, and the special evening events listed below.
Concert in the Forest Series begins Wednesday, June 15th. Enjoy live music, food trucks, and quality time with friends and family out in nature. Food trucks will open at 5:30 p.m. Concert in the Forest Series will feature bands from Northeast Ohio, the Cleveland Institute of Music, and Cleveland’s Baroque Orchestra Apollo’s Fire. Concerts are included with the price of admission with the exception of Apollo’s Fire.
- Loch Erie will perform on June 22nd at 6:30 p.m. Loch Erie is a Northeast Ohio Celtic folk group that performs an eclectic blend of traditional Irish music, sea shanties, and contemporary acoustic music.
- Light of 2 Moons will perform on July 13th at 6:30 p.m. Light of 2 Moons is a Cleveland-based group with a unique mix of music from island sounds to classic rock, blues, and old folk tunes.
- July 22nd at 7:30 p.m. and July 23rd at 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Grammy Award winners Apollo’s Fire and Jeannette Sorrell bring their beloved concerts to the Holden Arboretum. Rustic Celtic music from ancient times will feature haunting ballads, toe-tapping fiddle tunes, and storytelling. Tickets are available online at https://apollosfire.org/ or call Apollo’s Fire at (216) 320-0012.
- Cleveland Wind Trio, from the Cleveland Institute of Music, will perform on August 10th at 6:30 p.m.
- Students from the Cleveland Institute of Music will perform on August 24th, at 6:30 p.m.
Notes of Nature Wine Serieswill feature wine and small bites at the Arboretum. A special ticket is necessary for the wine tasting events and can be found at holdenfg.org.
- June 15th, Taste of Terroir, 6-7 p.m. A limited seating, and special tasting, focus on the factors that make up a wine, including soil, topography, and climate. This instructor-led discussion will include a sampling of four wines.
- July 27th, Bottles and Blooms, 6-7:30 p.m. Date Night at the Arboretum will feature flights of summertime wines and local craft brews. Sip and stroll through the butterfly garden and take in the sounds of Josh Ferro.
- August 17th, Wine Tasting, 6-8 p.m. Stroll through the butterfly garden this summer and sip at wine stations and feast at food stops. Stroll through the trees listening to the tunes of Ed Purcell.
Save the date for our annual benefit picnic for the plants and trees. Twilight in the A-Mazing Woods will take place Saturday, July 9th from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Throughout the Arboretum grounds, the benefit will feature a picnic dinner by SPICE Catering, live music, activities for adults and kids including a craft station and botanically themed treasure hunt, and exclusive access to the Arboretum’s summer exhibit, Mission Botanica by Minotaur Mazes. Purchase tickets at holdenfg.org.
Now through July 10th, enjoy Cleveland-based artist Margaret Stamm’s series “On Botany” inside the Corning Visitor Center. Margaret is a photographer and painter who focuses on the healing aspect of art and nature.
Starting in May, tour the Holden Arboretum in a new way. These 45- minute tours will give guests an overview of the campus and gardens, with a focus on seasonal highlights. You may also learn a little history and information about the scientific work that happens behind the scenes. Enjoy Wednesday evening tram tours on from June 1 to August 31, too. Schedule and Pricing Information Here
Learn Outside in Nature
On Monday, June 20th from 7:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. learn about the fascinating insect you might have caught as a kid, fireflies. Join us for a nighttime hike to seek out several species found at the Holden Arboretum. Space is limited and registration is required. Registration Link Here
Mindfulness in Nature (2 Part Series)
On Thursday, June 23rd from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. or Thursday, July 14th from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. take a break from the hectic pace of everyday life. Practicing mindfulness in nature can promote a sense of inner calm and enhance well-being. Participants will develop a deeper appreciation of their interconnection with the natural world and learn new skills to reduce stress. Registration Link Here
HAVE A PICNIC with SPICE GRAB AND GO CAFÉ
Fuel your forest + garden adventure at the Spice Grab + Go Café! Colorful, crave-able, nutrient-dense meals and snacks from Chef Ben Bebenroth and the team at Spice Hospitality Group are back for the sunny season. Stop by the Visitors’ Center to grab a satisfying salad or grain bowl, healthy snack, or just a beverage from our convenient self-serve cooler. Enjoy your picks in a beloved spot on our grounds for a Spiced-up picnic! The Spice Grab + Go café is available Thursday-Sunday during Arboretum hours.
About People for Trees™
Holden Forests & Gardens Launched People for Trees in early 2021 to aim to have 15,000 trees planted and cared for by 2025 throughout Northeast Ohio. To date, more than 1,000 people have pledged to plant more than 4,000 trees. One of the most significant things we can do to combat the effects of a changing climate right here in Northeast Ohio is to plant trees in backyards, at businesses, and in neighborhoods. Make your pledge at holdenfg.org/people-for-trees and you will become a part of the regional movement to reverse the trend of tree loss in Northeast Ohio. To learn more, visit holdenfg.org.
About Holden Forests & Gardens
Holden Forests & Gardens is made up of two of Northeast Ohio’s most important environmental and cultural institutions —The Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden — whose mission is to connect people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities. One of the largest public gardens in the country, Holden Forests & Gardens, has over 17,000 member households and an annual attendance of over 350,000 for whom we strive to provide inspirational and educational visitor experiences. For more information, visit holdenfg.org.