YourBlackWorld.net, By Victor Trammell, Posted April 20th 2020
As of today, the 47-year-old thespian is the star of a Netflix mini-series called Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker. This project began streaming on March 20 and has been met with much critical acclaim. While the authenticity of the film’s storyline has been scrutinized, Spencer’s performance has been heralded as remarkable.
Walker is known in American history as the first black woman to become a millionaire. She was an entrepreneur who trafficked in hair care products for black women exclusively. However, Self Made is not Spencer’s first rodeo when it comes to cinematically portraying a historically relevant woman in black American history.
In 2017’s Hidden Figures, Spencer played Dorothy Vaughn, one of three black women who orchestrated the scientific magic, which put the first man on the moon. Spencer has also earned herself a nice per-episode price tag ($75,000) on the strength of her quality work as an actress. According to WealthyPersons.com, Spencer has a net worth of $15 million dollars.
However, in a recent column in the Parade Sunday newspaper, some things were revealed about Spencer that most members of the general public may not know. Read the official list by Parade below.
- Spencer’s first job in show business was as an intern on the set of the 1990 film The Long Walk Home, which was shot in her native Alabama.
- She is the author of two Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective novels for middle-school kids: The Sweetest Heist in History and The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit.
- She’s played a nurse more than 15 times in movies and on TV, including in A Time to Kill and Seven Pounds and on Chicago Hope and The X-Files.
- She has admitted to having severe stage fright, which affects her even on an awards-show red carpet.
- In 2017, Spencer became the first black actress to be nominated for an Academy Award (Hidden Figures) after having already won one (The Help). She also received a third nomination for The Shape of Water.
- It is no surprise she said yes to the title role in the horror movie Ma, as she’s a lifelong fan of scary films.
- Spencer made Entertainment Weekly’s list of “25 Funniest Actresses in Hollywood” in April 2009.
- She admitted to Ellen DeGeneres that she is a regifter.
- Spencer says the fact that she’s dyslexic allows her to see the world in a different way.